neděle 20. dubna 2014

early show 12 episode 11

Bruce Kanegai's Early Show Interview

Video:


Transcript by James Barber for SurvivorFever.net  4.21.06 

TRACY SMITH:  For only the second time in the history of Survivor a castaway was forced out of the game for medical reasons.  This time it was Karate instructor Bruce Kanegai who tried to stick it out but in the end his pain was stronger than his desire to stay in the game. 

[video clip of Shane talking and medic evacuating Bruce from the camp]

TRACY: Bruce Kanegai, good morning.


BRUCE: Good morning.

TRACY: How painful is it for you to watch that?

BRUCE: It just brought up a lot of painful memories.

TRACY: How are you?

BRUCE: I feel awesome. I just feel so great and blessed to be here.

TRACY: But this was a very serious situation. How much pain were you in?

BRUCE: I thought my appendix burst, or my artery from the back, stomach artery, abdomen, had broken, and I knew it was very, very serious. More painful than when I got bit by the rattlesnake.


TRACY: More painful than getting bitten by a rattlesnake? That's pretty painful. You went to the hospital. Were you at that time asking the doctors if you could get back in? Were you hoping to get back in?

BRUCE: When I was gone, I figured I was gonna be disqualified, and that was really crushing. I trained so hard to be on the show, and it was a big dream of mine to be on the show, and I thought I was competing so well. On the way there, even though I was in pain, at the hospital that's what I kept thinking. "Man, I blew it." There was nothing I could do, but I was pretty demoralized at that point.

TRACY: Did you really feel like you blew it?

BRUCE: Well, I didn't feel - I couldn't help it. Being in the older tribe, I felt like all my systems were shutting down, and I didn't expect that. I didn't think it was gonna happen to me.

TRACY: Can you tell us, are you doing to be on the jury?

BRUCE: I can't really say. You're gonna have to wait until next week to see that.

TRACY: That's a very nice tease there, Bruce. I want to take a look at a secret scene that actually happened after you left the game. You're gonna like this. Take a look.

[(Cirie spots Bruce's shoes)

CIRIE: You know what happened with Bruce, Bruce not returning, I love Bruce, and I think he would want me to have his shoes. Being that he's not coming back.


(Cirie puts his shoes on)

ARAS: Does the word opportunist strike the core of your center, young lady?


CIRIE: I've always wanted Bruce's shoes.

ARAS: You are vicious.

CIRIE: No, no, not like that! Oh, shucks. I like 'em. Maybe I'll get some of his strength and some of his wisdom from his shoes.

]

TRACY: Oh, come on! Did you want her to have your shoes?


BRUCE (laughs): This is the first time I've seen that. But, if it helped the team. I have such small feet anyway, so I figured it has to be Cirie again. (coughs)

TRACY: So you never got the shoes back?

BRUCE: I was sent back the shoes.

TRACY: Oh, so Cirie's not walking around somewhere with Bruce's shoes on.


BRUCE: No. Right now I'm quite surprised she was wearing my shoes.


TRACY: One of the touching moments last night was when they did a tribute to you in your Zen rock garden. When you watched that, what did you think?

BRUCE: That was wonderful. It was pretty emotional when I saw that. I didn't know how my team was going to react, they're so unpredictable. It was a touching moment for me. I love all those guys, even though they're dysfunctional, I just love all ove them and appreciate being on the show with them.

TRACY: That's nice. You've very beloved in your hometown as well. You're a high school teacher. What do your students think of this experience?

BRUCE: Well, they want me to do a recap on Fridays, so they won't work, but I can't go beyond a short recap of what was shown that night. It's so great to be back in a classroom. My kids are so wonderful and I just love teaching them. After 34 years I'm still excited about teaching high school.


TRACY: Alright, Bruce, well as I mentioned before we started this, it's great to see you and it's also sad to see you, but great to see you're doing well.

BRUCE: My pleasure. Thank you so much.

TRACY: Take care.

Žádné komentáře:

Okomentovat